Monday, July 23, 2012

98 percent

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." - Max Planck

Despite peoples' inherent worth being equal, all of their opinions are not. If something doesn't work, then we should focus on what actually fixes the problem instead of doubling down on what our ideology says. I believe in result-driven policy, not politics-driven policy. A world where scientists and analysts have a greater share in the debate than how people feel about a subject. We, as a species, were endowed with great intelligence. We should not turn our backs on it an rely on our animalistic impulses instead.


What lead to this post today was that I recently came across this fantastic analogy:

Do you believe that smoking causes Cancer? 98% of scientists agree that it does. Most, but not all, of the remaining 2% have connections to the Tobacco industry.

Do you believe that humans caused Global Warming? 98% of scientists agree that they do. Most, but not all, of the remaining 2% have connections to the Oil and Gas industry.

I bet it's the same 2 percent. All of part of the guild of calamitous intent. Despite it all, it will take a generation to come to this same conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment